Tooth Extractions & Tooth Removal
It’s a dentist’s job to protect and restore teeth. We always do the best we can to heal and repair, but sometimes a tooth extraction is the most necessary treatment. If you have teeth that are severely decayed or broken, tooth removal might be the only way to keep adjacent teeth and jaw structures healthy.
We will only recommend you get a tooth pulled if it is vital to the wellbeing of the rest of your smile or dental health. We don’t do it lightly, and we won’t keep you in the dark about the whole process. Before we begin any tooth extraction, we will discuss two important things with you:
- Your Comfort: What do you need to feel at ease? Local anesthesia will keep you pain-free while you have your tooth pulled, but if you need more, we are perfectly happy to help. We’ll talk about many different patient amenities, entertainment options, and sedation dentistry techniques that can be used to improve your experience.
- Replacement Options: Let’s make a plan for replacing the tooth after removal. It’s important to replace the tooth promptly for a number of reasons: One, to prevent the other teeth from shifting because of the new gap. Two, to keep the bone of your jaw healthy and strong. We have many options for this and will help you decide which custom-made restoration is best for you.
What should I Expect?
Many patients want to know how to mentally prepare for their tooth extraction. Here’s what you can expect from the tooth removal process:
- Dr. Coleman will numb the tooth, jawbone, and gums with a local anesthetic.
- He will then rock the tooth back and forth. You will feel pressure but should not feel any pain.
- Some teeth may require sectioning before removal, which involves carefully separating the tooth into pieces.
- Once the socket is wide enough, or the tooth is separated enough, Dr. Coleman will gently remove the tooth with an extraction tool.
The dental removal process really is that simple.
After you have your tooth pulled, Dr. Coleman will provide you with home instructions for keeping your mouth healthy. After healing, you can return to our office for the placement of a new tooth.
Schedule a Tooth Removal in Davidson, NC
Dr. Coleman creates a soothing dental environment and uses a gentle touch. We believe you can have a great experience with our caring staff, even if you need a tooth pulled! If you’re near Mooresville or Cornelius and in need of a tooth extraction, don’t hesitate to contact us at Dennis J Coleman DDS – Family & Cosmetic Dentistry in Davidson, NC. Let’s end tooth pain and get your smile back to full health!